Saturday 16 February 2013

Photography


On Friday you told me  that you had been arranging the pieces in the show primarily to photograph them, so while the photos look really good, the objects as arranged in the room look arbitrary and poorly placed. You said that it was something like the way you used to work with film, hand drawn, manipulated specifically for the camera.

I find this quite an interesting idea, that composition for one point of view, one orientation in relation to the objects and the space, this orientation may not be conducive to a 'successful' experience in the space, that the intended view might be this one here. This is quite at odds with the conventions of installation as sculptural object in space, which is to take account of how the object occupies the space and the visitors' relationship to it. It is instead to suggest that the ideal viewer, is not a visitor to the space. Indeed is the ideal viewer even the one looking at the photograph, or even the photographer? Perhaps the ideal viewer is the camera itself, this is the way the camera sees the show. (SB)


My work is concerned with the situation of seeing, the ways we negotiate optical, physical and psychological space and the disorientating experience of moving between different viewing systems and cultural frameworks.

As I work in the space my interests change. My ideas develop and my understanding of what it is that I am doing changes. My orientation to the image and creative impulses are governed by temporal shifts in perception and materials and processes I use to see.



The image is not fixed. The viewer may encounter the work via this blog or or by visiting the space, or by word of mouth or via other distribution systems.

edit
light bleeding
edit
but edit
edit but
edit
edit but
edit
but edit
the
but
image
but
is
edit
not
edit
fixed
edit
or
but
edit
edit
edit
edit
bound






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.